Refeds

Subject RE: publisher interface study
From "Josh Howlett" <Josh.Howlett@xxxxxx>
Date Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:08:37 +0100

Hi Nicole,

> We are nearing the end the of the consultation period for the
> publisher interface study and as yet have had no dissenting
> voices.

First I should say that this is, in principle, a fine idea.

However - and perhaps I have misunderstood this proposal - I'm curious
whether a common branding is a Good Idea in the absence of a common
infrastructure.

If it is not possible for a typical SP to obtain an assertion from a
typical IdP (say, because they had no federation in common), then this
might end up disappointing users. You can imagine a user getting
confused when the 'eduID' button works for some SPs, but not others.

I see that a smart embedded WAYF could help, particularly for those SPs
that only care about certain IdPs.

In summary, I certainly support the idea and think we should start
working on the branding ASAP; I'm just saying that I don't think this is
enough to solve the general case. Perhaps that's been implied, but I
haven't seen it said explicitly.

josh.