Refeds

Subject Re: ePSA comparison (was RE: ePTID comparison)
From Keith Hazelton <hazelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:55:14 -0500

One comment below
On Sep 2, 2009, at 08:46, Andrew Cormack wrote:

Olivier
Thanks for the information (simple French is fine for me).

Unfortunately, if I've understood your schema and the EduPerson intention correctly, I think your latest interpretation is actually further away from theirs than the original was. I'm afraid you may have made the same mistake as us in swapping the intended functions of "employee" and "staff". Everyone else seems to treat "staff" as the 'opposite' of "faculty", with both falling roughly within "employee". We, and maybe you, now, have "employee" as the opposite of "faculty" :-(

Interesting point that you are considering having "faculty" who are not "members". Our content licensing people have been discussing those non-employed teachers with content providers and trying to have them included within the standard licence terms, so that the legal specification of those licensed to see the content would translate simply to "ePSA=member". For what other categories they identified, and how far they've got with publishers, see
http://www.jisc-collections.ac.uk/catalogue/aau_initiative
(Please *don't* copy their colour scheme, which is hostile to red/ green colourblind people!)

My impression from talking with them is that content providers actually want very simple rules and, in many cases, don't even want to distinguish whether someone is a student or a teacher. If they do need to do that, then it seems to be on a per-individual basis (defined either by ePTID/ePPN or ePE), hence my suggestion earlier in the discussion that we may already have a more complicated system than is needed. After reading the many helpful examples that have been provided

I'm actually coming to think that what we have may be a system that is more complicated than external service providers need, but less complicated than we need internally?

This is pretty much my sense of this issue based on the last several years' experience. --Keith
_________

Cheers
Andrew Cormack, Chief Regulatory Adviser
JANET(UK), Lumen House, Library Avenue, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, OX11 0SG, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1235 822302
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 822399

JANET, the UK's education and research network