Refeds

Subject Re: How to join the refeds wiki
From Ian Young <ian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:03:16 +0000

On 12 Mar 2009, at 21:48, Peter Schober wrote:

I guess the people setting this up didn't expected this outcry and all
this might just be the default values for the installation.

There's no "outcry" here, just people pointing out that -- as currently configured and described -- the REFEDs wiki is going to have interop issues that will prevent it from being as successful as it could be.

These are the same issues that we would have raised if the wiki had been put up for registration against a production federation. Some of them are issues which would prevent registration, but as to the rest at least in the UK federation we don't tend to second-guess a registrant's intention: if they want to register an SP that can only interoperate with 4% of the IdPs in the federation, that's fine with us... but we'll warn them of that consequence of their choices so that their choice can be an informed one. If it turns out that they weren't aware of the consequences, of course we help them make choices that better meet their goals.

The only difference here is that the process is happening partially in public with several helpful people rather than purely in private with just one ;-)

So by all means suggest a config change instead of implying that this service is
somehow fundamentally agains BCPs, interop profiles, etc.pp.

I make no such implication.

I point out problems when I see them, and someone like yourself who understands the particular software in use suggests ways to avoid the problem by reconfiguration or by fixing the documentation. That seems like a fine way to divide up the work to me ;-)

	-- Ian