TF-Mobility and Network Middleware
This activity finished on Sep 1, 2016.
As a consequence, these pages are no longer actively maintained.
The development and deployment of mobile technologies and the usage of network middleware to support interoperable roaming services, are becoming key activities among NRENs and academic research institutions.
The TERENA task force on Mobility, which started in 2002, promotes the adoption of such technologies. In September 2008, a change in focus resulted in the renaming of the task force to TF-Mobility and Network Middleware (TF-MNM).
In September 2010, the terms of reference strengthened the mobility areas of the task force, investigating ubiquitous mobility through 3G/LTE/4G services in addition to WiFi and the impact of Location Aware Services. The integration of network middleware to support identity federations and 2-factor authentication were also additions to the focus of the task force.
Again in 2013, a new terms of reference were approved consolidating the focus of the taskforce on areas of Mobility.
Secretarial support for this task force is provided by TERENA with funding from the GN3 project.
Goals of the Task Force
- To provide a forum for gathering and exchanging experiences, ideas and knowledge on the development, deployment, testing and standardisation of innovative network middleware and mobility technologies;
- To provide a forum for the global coordination and support of eduroam;
- To liaise with industrial stakeholders and standardisation groups, such as the IETF, IEEE and Wireless Broadband Alliance and initiatives globally;
- To address security and trust issues related to federated, network middleware, mobile and location services;
- To co-ordinate and provide support to the Research and Education community and TERENA activities and task forces, specifically continuing close cooperation with TFEMC2 on common goals concerning federated access.
Chair: Klaas Wierenga, Cisco Systems
Secretary: Nicole Harris, TERENA
Running period: September 2002 - September 2016
News & Features
- Posted on 18 July 2011 - 13:21
- Posted on 21 December 2010 - 15:00
- Posted on 14 December 2010 - 11:30
- Posted on 29 June 2010 - 12:50
- Posted on 16 January 2007 - 11:00
- Posted on 31 August 2006 - 08:05
- Posted on 3 June 2006 - 18:00