Server Certificate Service
TERENA published a few press releases about SCS.
- Low-cost Server Certificates Available via TERENA (25 January 2006).
- GlobalSign NV/SA and TERENA Sign Contract to Provide a Server Certificate Service (also 25 January 2006).
- First Certificate of TERENA's Server Certificate Service Issued Today (16 March 2006).
- Successful TERENA Server Certificate Service Continues(9 January 2007).
Call for ProposalsTo assure transparency in the procurement, in September 2005 TERENA issued a Call for Proposal and it was decided to:
- send this Call for Proposals to all established CA providers which are currently known to TERENA;
- publish the Call for Proposals on the TERENA website;
- publish the Call for Proposals on the Official Journal;
- and apply the procedure as described in the call for proposal.
Project Important Milestones
- 15 September 2005: deadline to request clarification on the Call for Proposal
- 24 September 2005 : deadline to provide answers to the questions.
A document with all the questions received and with the related answers has been compiled and it is available for public information.
- 30 September 2005 (11:00 hrs Dutch local time): Deadline to submit the proposal
- 19 December 2005 : Preferred Suppliers appointed
- 9 January 2006: Signed Contract with GlobalSign
- 10 January - 15 March 2006: Delivering Phase
- 16 March 2006: Service Operational
- October 2006: The national networks from Belgium (BELNET), Norway (UNINETT) and the United Kingdom (JANET UK) join the service.
- 9 January 2007: the Agreement with GlobalSign is renewed for a 3-year period.
- January 2007: The national networks from Italy (GARR) and Sweden (SUNET) join the service.
- April 2007: The national network from Slovenia (ARNES) joins the service.
- December 2007: The national network from Portugal (FCCN) joins the service.
- February 2008: The national network from Lithuania (LITNET) joins the service.
- June 2008: The national networks from Hungary (HUNGARNET) and Poland(PSNC) join the service.
There are also some slideshows available that can give you more information about the initial motivation for SCS.
- Towards large-scale use of affordable popup-free server certificates for the European Research & Educational community
- New approaches to enabling PKI usage: SCS Project (at EuroCAMP April 2006, Ljubljana)
- TERENA Server Certificate Service SCS (presented to General Assembly at TERENA Networking Conference May 2006, Catania)