Cloud Services and Activities
Cloud computing is a model for enabling ubiquitous, convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. (NIST SP800-145)
TERENA has been involved in Cloud activities since 2010. These activity area pages are intended to link the work that has been taking place in TF-MSP, STORAGE, NREN-Clouds and the ASPIRE foresight study..
TERENA has been involved with Cloud Services and related activities in the following groups
- TF-MSP - The TERENA Task Force on the Mangement of Service Portfolios
This group has been looking at the business side of NRENs offering Clouds or Cloud Brokerage Services. (TF-MSP email archive)
- TF-STORAGE - The storage task force (TF-Storage) is to provide a forum for exchanging and promoting ideas, experience and knowledge and fostering collaborations among National Research and Education Networks and academic and research institutions on the topic of data storage, data management, and cloud storage. (TF-STORAGE email archive)
- NREN-CLOUDS@TERENA.ORG is a public email discussion list operated by TERENA on behalf of the community. You can subscribe to this list by visiting the self subscription page
TERENA Strategy on Clouds
TERENA has a four point strategy in the area of Clouds and Cloud Service adoption by NRENs.
- Support and Coordination for NRENs in submitting proposals in response to European Commission calls and elsewhere
- Development of a pilot activity for NRENs to experiment and gain experience with clouds and applications
- Contribute to the ASPIRE study on the adoption of Cloud services by the community
- Agree, document and disseminate information on Best Practice in the area of Clouds and Cloud Services
To underpin the cloud activities, TERENA has created this topic focus page and its associated links. If you have projects, ideas or information that you would like linked from this area please email them to John Dyer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
TERENA Trusted Cloud Drive
The TERENA Trusted Cloud Drive pilot service will explore possible deployment scenarios for a trusted storage service for NRENs. The pilot will be built upon a federated software platform (“the cloud broker facility”) that offers the ability to easily connect different storage back-end (both private and public cloud storage back-end are supported) and store users data in a secure and privacy preserving way (thanks to the separation of storage data and metadata as well as the built-in encryption functionality) in the cloud.
Cloud News from the European Commission
The Steering Board of the new European Cloud Partnership (ECP) had its first meeting in Brussels today (19 November 2012), working to implement the EU’s Cloud Computing Strategy. The Board is chaired by Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of Estonia, and includes CEOs of tech companies, and government representatives with responsibility for IT procurement. It aims to leverage the public sector’s buying power to shape the cloud computing services market and will advise Commissioner Kroes.
The Steering Board will implement a framework for cloud computing including identifying three cross-border and interoperable cloud pilot projects, building on existing large scale pilots. It will also develop a road-map for moving public IT use to the cloud, with the aim of achieving by 2015 a cloud migration target comparable to the US benchmark of 25% of federal IT spending.
- John Dyer <email@example.com>
News & Features
- Posted on 17 December 2013 - 12:57
- Posted on 15 October 2012 - 15:53
- Posted on 23 April 2012 - 12:55