MINUTES TERENA GA 25 May 2000

GA(00)016

Draft minutes of the 13th GA meeting

25 May 2000

Lisbon, Portugal

1. Welcome and Apologies

The President welcomed in particular those guests who were not (yet) members of the GA: Dany Vandromme and Sabine Jaume (RENATER), Stefano Zatti (ESA), Roman Tirler (CEC) and David Martin (IBM).

Lars Backström (FUNET), Brian Carpenter (IBM), André Choo (Teleglobe), Bert Dekkers (IBM), Ole Kjćrgaard (UNIoC), Margita Kon-Popovska (MARNET), Petter Kongshaug (UNINETT), Geoff McMullen (UKERNA), Oliver Popov (MARNET), Yves Poppe (Teleglobe), Markus Sadeniemi (FUNET), Siavash Shahshahani (IPM) and Jeremy Sharp (UKERNA) had all conveyed their apologies for the 13th GA meeting.

Klaus Lindberg represented FUNET, Finland with proxy.

The number of votes represented was 87 out of a total of 117, and after agenda item 4(a) 95 out of a total of 125.

The list of participants is annexed to these minutes.

2. Approval of Agenda, GA(00)001

The President mentioned two issues to be treated under agenda item 14: a letter from Portuguese Minister of Science and Technology Gago (presently Chair of the EU Research Council) asking for TERENA's advice on the implementation of a new European very high-speed network initiative, and a presentation by Stefano Zatti on ESA's networking activities. With these additions, the GA approved the agenda for the 13th TERENA GA meeting, GA(00)001.

(Note: the slides that illustrate the various agenda items can be found at http://www.terena.nl/ga/ga13/GALisboninfo.html)

3. Minutes and Action list of previous GA meeting

  1. Minutes of the 12th TERENA General Assembly, Istanbul
  2. The Secretariat had received a proposal from Peter Kaufmann to change the sentence under point 6, "Peter Kaufmann replied that the technical development work is now done in the commercial world" to read: "Peter Kaufmann replied that a lot of the technical development work is now done in the commercial world which is a change compared to earlier times."

    D13-01 The General Assembly unanimously approved the minutes of the 12th GA meeting (GA(99)035), Istanbul, 21-22 October 1999, with this one change.

  3. GA Action list update
  4. The GA noted that action items 1 and 2 were closed; item 3 was on the agenda as point 8.

  5. GA Meeting Schedule - GA(00)002
  6. The President recalled the main points of the paper, namely to stick to two General Assembly meetings per year but to restrict them to a half-day only. The October General Assembly would be held at a central location in Europe and be combined with a half-day seminar.

    The GA took note of the document.

4. Membership matters

  1. Admission of new members

    Dany Vandromme recalled that he had invited Karel Vietsch to give a presentation at last year's French national research networking conference. He hoped that RENATER re-joining TERENA would lead to a reinforcement of co-operation between the French research networking community and that community elsewhere in Europe.

    D13-02 The GA unanimously decided to admit RENATER as the National Member for France, in membership category 7.

    The GA noted that Dany Vandromme would be RENATER's Representative and Sabine Jaume the Substitute Representative.

    Stefano Zatti gave a brief presentation of the European Space Agency. ESA as an organisation works in a highly distributed way, with five major centres spread across Europe and seven smaller locations. The organisation needs good connectivity and is working towards making mission data that they gather accessible to a wider audience.

    D13-03 The GA unanimously decided to admit ESA as an International Member.

    The GA noted that Stefano Zatti would be ESA's Representative and Marco Incollingo the Substitute Representative.

  2. Changes in membership - TSec(99)118, GA(00)012

    Karel Vietsch reported that the Secretariat had been informed that the CEENet association had been dissolved and a new CEENet association had been established in October of last year. No formal application for TERENA membership had been received from this new organisation, but it had expressed its intention to join. At the same time, it had invited TERENA to join the new CEENet as "special member". Further information had been requested by the Secretariat, but not yet received. The GA was therefore asked to note that at this moment in time CEENet was not a TERENA member.

    In informal talks with members of the CEENet Management Committee shortly before the GA meeting, it had transpired that the two issues mentioned above were related, in the sense that CEENet would only be willing to apply for associate membership of TERENA if TERENA would become "special member" of CEENet. TERENA was still awaiting further information from CEENet and therefore the TERENA Executive Committee had not yet discussed the matter.

    Jan Gruntorád confirmed that a new association had been established. He offered to provide the missing information in the coming period and suggested to return to this issue at the next GA meeting. This was agreed.

  3. Changes in representatives

    Cisco Graça Carvalho has been appointed as the Representative in place of Bob Aiken and Jane Butler has been appointed as the Substitute Representative in place of Steve Wolff.

    European Commission Mario Campolargo has been appointed as the Representative in place of Simon Holland and Franck Boissičre has been appointed as the Substitute Representative.

    ULAKBIM (Turkey) Tugrul Yilmaz has been appointed as the Representative in place of Tuncay Birand and Erdogan Yilmaz (no relation) has been appointed as the Substitute Representative.

    The GA noted the information.

  4. Outstanding membership fees - GA(00)004

    The Treasurer, Lajos Bálint, reported that the payment behaviour of the members had improved and that CACEDU (Belarus) was the only member that was more than one year in arrears.

    The GA noted the information.

5. TERENA Formal matters

  1. Adoption TERENA Financial Accounts 1999 - FIN(00)007

    Lajos Bálint reported that 1999 had been a good year from the financial point of view. The reserves were now at the desired level. Income had been higher than foreseen due mainly to a higher number of hours charged to projects. Expenses had been lower than foreseen. The Pilot Project Seed Fund had been fully committed.

    D13-04 The GA unanimously adopted the TERENA Financial Accounts 1999.

  2. TERENA Annual Report 1999, including Secretariat report - GA(00)010

    Karel Vietsch pointed to the new activities being undertaken in the Technical Programme, which were described in the Annual Report and to the increased information sharing activities of the Secretariat. The Secretariat was functioning well, leading to a short Secretariat report.

    D13-05 The GA unanimously approved both parts of the Annual Report 1999.

  3. Notice of Termination of TERENA Membership

    Karel Vietsch reported that in spite of efforts to contact CACEDU by various means, no answer had been received to the various reminders that had been sent.

    D13-06 The GA unanimously decided that CACEDU will receive a notice of termination of membership, specifying that its TERENA membership will be terminated automatically on 1 September 2000, unless payment of the 1998 membership fee has taken place before that date.

6. Executive Committee Elections

The President explained that there was only one vacancy, for Treasurer. He thanked Lajos Bálint for serving for four years as Treasurer of TERENA in an admirable way. Lajos replied that he was glad to have been able to serve the association and was hoping to continue to be active for TERENA in the future. Stefano Trumpy, as past president, echoed David Williams' words of appreciation.

GARR (Italy) nominated Agathoclis Stylianou for the position of Treasurer. RESTENA (Luxembourg) seconded the nomination, which was accepted by the nominee.

There were no other nominations.

D13-07 By acclamation, the GA appointed Agathoclis Stylianou Treasurer of TERENA for a two-year term of office.

7. Technical Programme

  1. Report on TAC meeting

    Kees Neggers briefly reported on the meeting, which had taken place on the 22nd of May. Nineteen TERENA member organisations had been represented through approximately 40 delegates.

    The Special Interest Areas of the TERENA Technical Programme were first decided in Dresden in 1998, and were therefore up for review. The TAC meeting reached consensus on the following redefinition of the Special Interest Areas:
    § Lower Layers (IPv6, MPLS, VPNs etc.)
    § QoS (incl. DiffServ)
    § Videoconferencing and streaming
    § Content delivery, indexing and searching
    § Middleware

    In addition, the TAC viewed Mobility (wireless networking, mobile IP) as a potential Special Interest Area.

    The TAC had urged the TERENA Executive and staff to take its responsibilities and to ensure that testing and experimentation activities which are currently are taking place in TF-TANT will continue unhindered and in a well organised way after the end of TF-TANT later this year.

    The TAC had expressed broad support for the TERENA Portal concept.

    The Grid concept had not been discussed at length in the TAC meeting, but was seen as an interesting area.

    Stanislaw Starzak suggested that more could be done (including spending some money) to promote take-up and encourage wider use of the output of TERENA pilot projects are actually used.

  2. Projects and Task Forces - progress report

    Since John Dyer unfortunately was absent because of illness, Karel Vietsch gave an update on the TERENA Technical Programme. A full report on the developments in 1999 could be found in the TERENA Annual Report, and an update had been given in the accompanying notes to this agenda item. The speaker therefore restricted his presentation to the developments of the last month, the period since the accompanying notes had been produced.

    (The presentation was illustrated by a selection from the slides that Karel Vietsch had presented in the TAC meeting on May 22nd. The full collection of those slides can be found at http://www.terena.nl/ga/ga13/GA13KVTAC.htm)

    TF-TANT was very successfully continuing its work, although the last deliverable of the QUANTUM Test Programme would be finished in May/June. According to its Terms of Reference agreed in 1998, TF-TANT would finish at 31 May 2000, and could be extended only by approval of the TTC. The TTC had agreed to extend the lifetime of TF-TANT until October 2000. Obviously there remained a need and a large interest among the experts concerned to do tests and experiments also after October 2000. This had been the subject of intensive discussions in the TTC and TAC meetings. The TAC had urged the TERENA Executive and staff to ensure that testing and experimentation activities which are currently are taking place in TF-TANT will continue unhindered and in a well organised way after the end of the lifetime of TF-TANT. The TTC members who have these subjects in their portfolio, Dimitrios Kalogeras and Olav Kvittem, would encourage the experts currently assembled in TF-TANT to start making plans for experiment and test programmes for the next 1-2 years.

    Karel Vietsch reminded the meeting that he had announced in a message to the GA mailing list that two Litton CAMVision-2 7615 MPEG-2 video encoder/decoders had been donated to TERENA, and that this equipment could be borrowed by TERENA member organisations. Various TERENA members had already shown an interest.

    TF-STREAM had had a successful meeting in Lisbon on May 21st. New activities to be taken up under TF-STREAM would be Scalable Video Conferencing, and Replication/storage of Streaming Media.

    Also TF-CACHE had had a meeting in Lisbon on May 21st. That meeting had been well attended, with more than 30 experts being present. There were a number of important developments in the caching world. The work on caching had always been strongly motivated by congestion problems and lack of bandwidth, and that now seemed much less an issue in important parts of Europe. There was also a strong development in industry, which now provides ready solutions instead of the networking world having to develop solutions themselves. And also responsibility for caching and storage was shifting from the users and the networks to the content providers. Consequently, there was much less to do for a task force like TF-CACHE, except on issues related to storage of streaming media. Although some of the experts in TF-CACHE (especially those from BE, NL and UK) were very much interested in that new topic, the majority felt that it could better be taken up elsewhere (initially under TF-STREAM), meaning that TF-CACHE could be dissolved. The TF-CACHE mailing list would be kept open, and the experts also requested to have a BoF on Web caching at every annual conference of TERENA.

    The TAC had expressed its support for the TERENA Portal concept. Talks with potential industrial partners, in particular with IBM, were continuing.

    On May 12th, a BoF session on LDAP had taken place in the TERENA Secretariat office in Amsterdam. This meeting had discussed the progress of the DIRECT project. It had also discussed the integration of X.509 PKIs and LDAP: DFN's directory centre had given a presentation, it had been noted that different NRENs have different strategies for supplying their customers with PKI solutions, and it had been decided that a next meeting might look into specific proposals for CA policies across NRENs and for naming and storage of certificate entries. Three presentations were given in the context of the Global Directory Index System, and it had been agreed that a pilot system should be set up using the DESIRE distributed indexing system and the GIDS server of Catalogix; DANTE would provide a storage facility for the index objects for the purpose of the pilot. Finally, the BoF meeting had felt that a TERENA activity in the form of a TERENA Task Force on LDAP Deployment was appropriate. The experts from DFN and SURFnet had volunteered to draw up Terms of Reference for such a Task Force. Meetings were to be adjacent to NameFlow meetings, and the next meeting would be late September 2000.

    Karel Vietsch reminded the meeting of the European Middleware Workshop that would be organised from 19-20 June in Leiden by the Telematics Institute and TERENA, in collaboration with the Internet2 Middleware Initiative and SURFnet.

    Brian Gilmore spoke on the collaboration between CERTs. Very successful meetings had taken place in Amsterdam in September 1999 and January 2000, and in Vienna on 12 May 2000. This last meeting had been preceded by two half-day seminar sessions, one on current practice in CSIRTs and one on incident taxonomy. The CERT coordination meetings would now continue as a TERENA Task Force, TF-CSIRT, under the leadership of Gorazd Bozic (ARNES). A number of deliverables had been defined in the draft Terms of Reference of the Task Force. The provision of the 'Trusted Introducer' function would be subcontracted to M&I/Stelvio (Stikvoort, Kossakowski) for a one-year period. The Vienna meeting had also agreed on a funding scheme for the Trusted Introducer function. TERENA would propose to the Contributors to the former SIRCE pilot to use part of the leftover SIRCE funds to enable a smooth start of this scheme. A subgroup led by Andrew Cormack (UKERNA) and Jan Meijer (SURFnet) was working on an Incident Description and Registration Framework, which would enable better exchange of information and the collection of statistics. Other activities included a possible security contact entry in the RIPE database (Wilfried Wöber), a clearing house for incident handling tools, and training of new (staff of) CSIRTs.

    Karel Vietsch concluded the agenda item by mentioning some smaller activities. Work was in progress to produce a new updated version of the GNRT. A BoF on Virtual Presence at TNC2000 had revealed interest in this area (especially from Northern Europe) but also a large unfamiliarity with the issues concerned; therefore more education on the subject (possibly at a next conference) would be needed before one could expect a TERENA activity in this area to develop.

    In summary Karel Vietsch remarked that the TERENA staff had had to work very hard recently on the Technical Programme, but that the success of the activities and the appreciation of the community concerned were very rewarding.

    The meeting expressed its appreciation for the work done by the TERENA staff under difficult circumstances.

  3. Estimated size of the Technical Programme

    The President explained that the calculation had been prepared for information only, in order to illustrate better the total size of the TERENA Technical Programme.

    The GA noted the information.

8. Presentation of the trial edition of the TERENA Compendium - GA(00)011

Bert van Pinxteren presented the trial edition, stressing that the trial edition had been prepared in order to see if it would be possible to collect relevant data in this way. The results were encouraging. For a 'real' edition, data would be needed from the great majority of NRENs and much more would have to be done on analysing, indexing and presenting the information.

Stefano Trumpy felt that this was an important piece of work, which would have to be pursued. He suggested that collecting data e.g. from member web sites could be outsourced to one of the member organisations. Karel Vietsch reported that people had commented that more information on financing and funding methods might be useful to include. Peter Kaufmann called the information very useful but stressed that a much better layout would be needed. Roman Tirler suggested that it would be important to put the information, even if incomplete, on the web as quickly as possible. Arne Sundström suggested to develop some key indicators.

The President concluded that the Compendium had reached threshold level and that the TEC and the Secretariat would have to pursue it further.

9.TERENA Financial Matters

Projected membership categories 2001 - GA(00)013

Based on the algorithm described in the Note on boundaries between TERENA membership categories, GA(98)009, no changes in membership categories were expected.

The GA noted the information.

10. Conferences and Workshops

  1. TERENA Networking Conference 2000, Lisbon

    Michael Walsh reported that the Lisbon Conference, held in combination with the 5th International Web Caching and Content Delivery Workshop, had been a success, with all in all over 400 people attending. The content had been positive, in general, although not in all respects. For the next Conference, he felt that the programme would have to be strengthened and deepened, in order to increase the attractiveness for the member organisations and their members.

    David Williams thanked Pedro Veiga for his hard work and for the excellent organisation and facilities of the Lisbon Conference.

  2. TNC in 2001, Antalya

    Michael Walsh announced that the Conference in 2001 would take place in Antalya, Turkey, with Stefano Trumpy as the Chair of the Programme Committee.

    Stefano Trumpy felt that perhaps the Conference should become a bit less general. There would have to be a technical part and a more strategic line. He was thinking that there might be more interesting round-table discussions. Perhaps a parallel event aimed at the Middle East would be good.

    Tugrul Yilmaz stated that ULAKBIM was honoured to host the Conference and that he was confident that it would go ahead without problems.

    11. TERENA Secretariat Matters

    Karel Vietsch reported that the one vacancy for a Project Development Officer would be filled on 1 July 2000 by the appointment of Kostas Anagnostakis.

    12. Liaisons - GA(00)014

    1. CCIRN

      According to the Terms of Reference of the CCIRN, the TERENA Executive Committee should appoint the European delegation to the next annual CCIRN meeting, which will take place immediately after the INET Conference in July in Yokohama. It had therefore asked which persons from the TERENA community would be available for this meeting. It turned out that Lajos Bálint, Jan Gruntorád, Olivier Martin, Kees Neggers, Stefano Trumpy, Karel Vietsch, Peter Villemoes, David Williams and possibly Sabine Jaume would all be in Yokohama at this time and would be willing to serve on the European delegation. The delegation would however have to be limited to maximum seven persons.

    2. ICANN and NCDNHC The GA agreed that TERENA should continue to play a role in keeping its members aware of important developments in ICANN and the NCDNHC. Members who had information were encouraged to share that with others through the TERENA GA mailing list.

    13.Next meetings

    GA14 on 13 October 2000 would be preceded by a workshop (on the 12th of October). David Williams suggested as topics information from Pan-European infrastructure providers about their fibre rollout or the technique of Terabit and Petabit routers. It was agreed that the TEC should give the workshop topic some further thought.

    There were two offers for hosting this GA meeting: one from RENATER for Paris and one from CESNET for Prague. At the suggestion of David Williams, the GA decided to accept the offer of RENATER for October 2000.

    14.Any other business and close

    Stefano Zatti gave a brief presentation on the networking activities of the European Space Agency.

    The President read out a recent letter from Minister Gago, in which he asks TERENA for its view on the steps to be taken to reach the objective of making a trans-European very high-speed network, with access speeds of tens of Gbps by the end of 2001 (and about 100 Gbps as soon as possible) available to the European research and education community. TERENA's reply should be sent within the next two weeks. Due to lack of time this important issue could not be discussed in the meeting, and it was decided to have the discussion on the GA mailing list.

    Annexes:

    I. List of Decisions and Actions resulting from the 12th TERENA General Assembly meeting

    II. List of participants at the 12th TERENA General Assembly meeting

    Annex I to the minutes of the 13th TERENA GA meeting

    List of Decisions and Actions resulting from the 13th TERENA General Assembly meeting

    Decisions

    D13-01 The General Assembly unanimously approved the minutes of the 12th GA meeting(GA(99)035), Istanbul, 21-22 October 1999, with one change.

    D13-02 The GA unanimously decided to admit RENATER as the National Member for France, in membership category 7.

    D13-03 The GA unanimously decided to admit ESA as an International Member.

    D13-04 The GA unanimously adopted the TERENA Financial Accounts 1999.

    D13-05 The GA unanimously approved both parts of the Annual Report 1999.

    D13-06 The GA unanimously decided that CACEDU will receive a notice of termination of membership, specifying that its TERENA membership will be terminated automatically on 1 September 2000, unless payment of the 1998 membership fee has taken place before that date.

    D13-07 By acclamation, the GA appointed Agathoclis Stylianou Treasurer of TERENA for a two-year term of office.

    Actions

    none

    Annex II to the minutes of the 13th TERENA GA meeting

    List of participants at the 13th TERENA General Assembly meeting, Lisbon, 25 May 2000.

    National members

    Austria, ACONET Peter Rastl
    Belgium, BELNET Jan Torreele
    Cyprus, CYNET Agathoclis Styianou
    Czech Republic, CESNET Jan Gruntorád
    Estonia, EENet Mihkel Kraav
    Finland, FUNet Klaus Lindberg (by proxy)
    France, RENATER Dany Vandromme
    Germany, DFN Peter Kaufmann
    Hungary, HUNGARNET Lajos Bálint (Treasurer)
    Italy, INFN/GARR Stefano Trumpy
    Ireland, HEANET John Boland
    Lithuania, LITNET Vytautas Reklaitis
    Luxembourg, RESTENA Antoine Barthel
    Netherlands, SURFnet Kees Neggers (VP Technical Programme)
    Norway, UNINETT Bjørnar Kvellheim
    Poland, POL-34 Stanislaw Starzak
    Portugal, FCCN Pedro Veiga
    Romania, ANSTI/RNC Eugenie Staicut
    Slovakia, SANET Jaroslav Bobovsky
    Slovenia, ARNES Marko Bonac
    Spain, RedIRIS Victor Castelo
    Sweden, SUNET Arne Sundström
    Switzerland, SWITCH Urs Eppenberger
    Turkey, ULAKBIM Tuncay Birand

    International members

    CERN   Olivier Martin
    ESA   Stefano Zatti

    Associate members

    NORDUnet      Peter Villemoes

    Observers:

    David Williams (President), Michael Walsh (VP Conferences), Brian Gilmore (TEC member), Sabine Jaume (RENATER), Maciej Stroinski (PCSS), Cristian Garabet (ANSTI/RNC), Erdogan Yilmaz (ULAKBIM), Roman Tirler (CEC), David Martin (IBM), Bert van Pinxteren and Karel Vietsch (both TERENA Secretariat)

    Apologies from members not represented:

    Lars Backström (FUNET), Brian Carpenter (IBM), André: Choo (Teleglobe), Bert Dekkers (IBM), Ole Kjćrgaard (UNIC), Margita Kon-Popovska (MARNET), Petter Kongshaug (UNINETT), Geoff McMullen (UKERNA), Oliver Popov (MARNET), Yves Poppe (Teleglobe), Markus Sadeniemi (FUNET), Siavash Shahshahani (IPM) and Jeremy Sharp (UKERNA)